Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer's here, hear the yell, done with school, no more bells!

Well, well. So this is what it feels like to relax!

Yes, summer has arrived. And with it has come a beautiful, much-needed reprive from the constant scurrying from place to place I've been doing all semester. It's really quite odd how everything slowed down at once, as if all my activity were a swarm of bees traveling together and finally passed through and onward. I did manage to get a job, but they are only giving me three days a week of work, so I have had a great deal of down time so far.

I know I've said this before, but I'm a knucklehead and will make the same realizations a thousand times before I actually slow down and start living by them. But what I've again come to understand is that you really have to slow down before you can appreciate your life to the fullest. This semester, I was running from class to work to frisbee practice to the point where I would, at worst, be in 5 different places in the span of a few hours. I did everything because I liked them all individually, but when squashed all together, I was miserable because I didn't have sufficient time for any one thing, not to mention the individual people in my life.

Summertime thus far has given me the gift of time. I've had time every evening since I've been back to sit down and eat dinner with, or cook dinner with, friends, Chris, or Chris and friends. The last time I had sat down and played my guitar for the simple joy of it was much longer than I wished for, and in the past week I've been able to at least three times. My bathroom is finally decently clean again as well! Oh lovely, lovely, lovely.

But here's the thing: it's really hard to realize you miss having free time when the things you can fill your time with seem like so much fun. I suppose the fact that I haven't been working as much as I'd like truly is a blessing.

Even when I do work more, though, I don't think that it will measure up to the craziness of a college schedule. Having a job, you're in one place, and then you go home...

I'm ready for the "real world," I think. Or maybe I just need to choose to make the "real world" that I'm in right now, college or no college, slow down a little so that I may enjoy life that much more.

I took a walk and observed a beautiful sunset sky tonight...

It's going to be a good summer.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Well...summer's over now :(